Saturday, January 22, 2011

Well. Dang.

This week was a recovery week which is good because I needed to recover. The long run on this recovery week was 13 miles. A measly stinkin' 13 miles. That's all! I mean my gosh! I can do that in my sleep.

Right?

Dragged myself out of bed at 5.30, got ready, and off I went. Before the first mile was over I'd had to stretch out my right leg four or five times because it was really tight and icky behind the knee.

A couple of miles into it I had a good at least 5 minute walk as I contacted the police because I could smell and hear gas leaking from some pipes near the soccer fields.

Just over 2.5 miles into it I stopped at home to go to the loo.

As I started into the second loop, my knee really started hurting. I stretched it. I took multiple walk breaks. But in the end I could only come to one conclusion: This really hurts. And I'm really injured. And I'm really sad.

I was listening to Chris Russell's "Run Run Live" podcast number 155 - a very special podcast. A, may I say, incredibly amazing podcast. And not just because yours truly did the intro. Ok, maybe that was part of it. =D But anyway, OTHER than the fact that I did the intro, the podcast was amazing. Inspirational. Informative. Etc. And I'd like to point out that episode 156 features artwork by my son. Thank you.

Anyway, just when my thoughts were solidifying thusly: "Oh my gosh. This isn't just a small one-week recovery. This is a big deal. This is going to take a long time. Oh my gosh. Oh no. I'm not going to be able to do the 60k. I'm really not going to be able to do it. I can't believe it. Oh no no no no no..." etc - just as these thoughts were solidifying, a song came on the podcast.

A very apropos song. A brilliant song. A really stinkin' funny song by Resurrected Runner. It was called "The day the Running died" sung to the tune of "The day the music died". I encourage you all to download Chris' podcast to listen to this fabulous song. Hahahahahahahahaaaa! In the midst of all my sad thoughts this made me laugh and brought a feeling of optimism.


Anyway, so the 60k is out. I felt pretty weepy about it on the run, especially while I was walking home I saw two fleet-feeted gazelle runners. *sigh* Oh well. Time to focus on healing and recovering. Bert wants me to do the Country music half with him this year. I will if I'm able to. I have plans in the back of my mind to do the Nashville Ultra 50k in October. We'll see how my leg feels come June before I totally solidify that decision.

And I think I'm going to post a bunch of pictures in the next post. Just for fun. =)

3 comments:

danny said...

ya know just for fun - sorry I got a kick out that.

I'm curious, how would differentiate running music vs a podcast? (I haven't really done either)

Keeley said...

You got a kick out of me being injured? You are a sick sick man. =) Or are you saying you got a kick out of my "just for fun" pictures post?

ANYWAY, Well. Running with a podcast and running with music and running with nothing are all different animals and one has to be in the mood for each one. Sometimes I like to run sans stuff - but that's mostly on the trails.

Short runs I'll run with music because I just get lost in my own little fantasies of being an amazing awesome runner who makes people gasp when I run by because they just can't believe how fast I am, how long I've run, and how fabulous I look with my flawless form and the rockin' music is an appropriate accompaniment to my BA self. =D

I usually listen to podcasts on my long run because then I can get a good 2-3 in, depending on the length of the run and the length of the podcast. I like to laugh, and I gravitate towards lighthearted fun podcasts. My favourites are the ones that make me nearly fall over laughing - makes running difficult, but it's so fun. =D Run Run Live is particularly good to listen to for someone with ADD tendencies like myself because it consists of short, fun/informative vignettes. And he has good taste in music.

HTH?

John Nguyen said...

Sorry to hear about your injury. Have you considered going to see a Chiropractor? You have insurance, don't you? I looked up places in your area that use the Graston Technique, and this place would be the place I would go to, if I were in your shoes... I think you'd be pleasantly surprised as how quickly some injuries can be resolved with a little professional treatment. And if it is your IT Band, you may need to work on some glute-strengthening exercises for some preventative medicine... Just some things for you to consider...
http://www.inmotionsjc.com/faq.html