Saturday, January 08, 2011

Continuation of the jury duty post

I'm so sorry I quit in the middle of the post yesterday. We were called into the court so I had to quit typing and then it got really busy.

Anyway. Where was I? In my run yesterday morning I pondered the case and came to the conclusion, upon weighing the facts, that she was guilty. Total bummer. I really really really really didn't want her to be.

Of course I was undecided again once the lawyers gave their closing statements. Deliberations went very well. I have to say the other members of the jury were some of the nicest people you could ever hope to meet.

It was just myself and one other gentleman who were undecided. It took....I don't know...2 hours? Of deliberating before the both of us were settled in our mind. Two members of the jury came up to me and thanked me for my courage. I was so touched. I didn't think I was being particularly courageous; I just knew this was someone's life I was handling so I had to be absolutely sure. It's nice to think other people think good things about you, even if they're unwarranted, so I treasure what they said. =)

I worry about the young lady and the impact this will have on her life. I really hope she dumped the dude that let her take the fall, and I hope he had the book thrown at him. I hope this experience will help her to make better choices in the future. I didn't stay around for sentencing, so I don't know what happened there. I wish I did know...otoh I'm a little glad I don't.

Because we were in court for two full days the Judge said we could be excused jury duty next week. WHOOT! That makes life a lot less complicated for us. =)

1 comment:

Heather the Mama Duk said...

They only do jury duty a week at a time here or one trial, whichever is longer. I've never gotten called to it. Jamie has three times and in all those times he's only had to actually show up one day.

I hope the guilty verdict helps the girl get her head on straight.