Saturday, December 18, 2010

19 miles baby

The Lord loves runners. This is so true. Despite the fact that I drug my weary body to bed at an hour way too late, and despite the fact that I thought there was NO WAY I was getting up early enough to get 19 miles in this morning, when the alarm clock rang at 3.30am I didn't go back to sleep. So 4am found me rolling out of bed, schlepping myself into my gear, and heading on out the door.

I couldn't face 4 hours on the tm. So I ran the 1/2 mile block by the house. Over and over and over. =D It wasn't too bad at all, actually. =) It worked out well as I could pop in and check on the kidlets. I'd warned Andrew last night that if he woke up and I wasn't there I would be running and if he needed me I'd be going by the house every few minutes & he could grab me then. He was totally cool with it. For him, Mummy running and Daddy biking for long periods of time is absolutely normal.

I put my water/perpetuem (which is GROSS but excessively useful) and gu on the boot of my car and stopped for a swig or two almost every time I passed by. Other useful thing about being near the house - comfortable pit stops. I had to make three. One of which was really quite urgent and could have been uncomfortable if I'd been running along 96.

The first two hours were dark. Which is good because I was listening to a podcast that made me laugh and that probably looked weird. The second hour and 55 minutes were light and started out a little weary and ended up ouchie.

What was *not* helpful was completing the 19 mile run and saying to myself "Now all I have to do is run that exact distance all over again and I'll have done the distance of the race in March." Uuuuhhhhhm. I can't imagine doing that. Barring accidents or whatnot, I *will* be doing that...I just can't imagine it. It makes me hurt just thinking about it.

I mean for goodness' sakes when I'd step up the curb to get to my car I'd go "Aaaahhhh" cos it was painful. Stepping up the CURB. I mean to say! Not painful "oh ouch injury" but painful "whine my legs and feet ache."

So. 19 miles in 3 hours 55 minutes. Five or so of those minutes were spent chatting to my dear neighbour who told me he'd found my blog! How cool is that? HI R!!!! How're you doing? How's the foot? =) He dropped an excessively heavy weight on his toe in what sounds like a not entirely painless accident. When he told me the first thing I thought was "DISASTER!!! How can you run with a broken toe?" Which just goes to show I'm completely nuts.

Ok. Here’s my schedule. How does it look? The stuff in blue I’ve already done.

Monday

Tuesday

Weds

Thursday

Friday

Saturday

Total

Week 1

5

2

2

0

15.3

24.3

Week 2

4.25

4

2

5

0

16.3

31.56

Week 3

6

2

2

0

5

19

34

Week 4

2

4

3

8

10

0

23

Week 5

4

4

6

10

21

0

43

Week 6

0

4

6

6

10

23

49

Week 7

0

4

6

8

6

25

53

Week 8

0

4

4

4

8

13

31

Week 9

0

4

8

8

10

27

55

Week 10

0

4

10

8

10

29

61

Week 11

0

4

10

8

10

31

63

Week 12

0

4

10

6

10

33

63

Week 13

0

4

10

8

8

20

52

Week 14

0

4

10

6

4

10

38

Week 15

0

3

2

0

0

60k – 37.3 miles

46.2


Why is my table coming out all weird and big and funky when it's really a nice compact little thing? That's annoying.


In other news we get to pick up Emily in a couple of hours. WHOOT! =)




.

8 comments:

NattyBumpo said...

Now all you need to do is a little core work, and some light weights. Maybe get some resistance bands as they won't break your toes if you drop them. And an exercise ball. VERY useful item. Good job on the 19 miles. Take tomorrow off. ;-)

EJN said...

Go Keeley. You SO Rock. Enjoy Emily!!!

John Nguyen said...

Nice long run! I do the same on 1/2 mile stretch in a nearby park. Back and forth, back and forth. That training schedule looks pretty good too, except I would take the day off or cross train the day before a long run (especially the super long runs)... 60K in March, huh? I'm doing a 50K on the same day, I think. I'll take it easy for another month, then get the running back up again. Good luck with your training!

jugglingpaynes said...

Good work! You should be all set for the NY marathon next November! ;o)

I'm so glad you were able to view my comics again. I hope I gave you plenty to laugh about!

Peace and Laughter,
Cristina

jgf said...

Pretty amazing to do 19 in front of your house! Do like the comfortable pit stops. Truth is that we do what we must to get it done.

gary said...

little-known tip: Add a little jalapeno to your Perpetuem. Trust me.

ERG said...

Wow! You are doing great!!! Nice 19 miler with serious mental toughness for the loop repeats! (extra points there)

How did you get the chart posted to your blog? I have an excel sheet I'd like to post, but don't have any idea how!

Keeley said...

@Natty - I very very nearly bought an exercise ball a couple of days ago - but ran out of time & the 5yo ran out of patience. Plus, I'm getting majorly huge gifts for Christmas this year soooo I don't know if I can justify it. Well. Ok. I probably can. =P Just need to make the trip to Target & get it. =D Already have the light weights 1-15lbs so I'm set there.

@Jo - Thank you!! =) Merry Christmas to you. =)

@John - The training schedule (I lifted it from a 50k schedule & modified the distances slightly) deliberately put the medium lsd right before the long lsd (so you're used to running long distances on tired legs?). What do you think about that? I've heard of ultra runners doing it....but I've also heard you need to take the day off before & after really long runs. So which is best?
You're doing a 50k on the same day?? How cool is that!?! =)
How's your wife feeling? She must be starting to show quite a bit now? =)

@Cristina - I was SO tickled pink to be able to see your comics. They are absolutely fabulous. And as to the NY marathon.....doubt I'd get in. =)

Actually I fantasize about running the London marathon at some point but I doubt that'll happen either. =P

@jgf - Amen to that.

@gary - I suspect you are trying to kill me. Either that or significantly increase the number of urgent pit stops. =D

@ERG - Thank you! =) I was terribly proud of myself, is that awful?

I had no idea how to post the chart. At first I tried uploading it as a pic but that didn't work, so on a whim I copied and pasted...and it worked! go figure! It came out all funky and big instead of the sweet little thing it was in Word.

Merry Christmas to you all. =) Thank you for your sweet comments.