Tuesday, November 23, 2010

TSA

It is rare for me to think of a cuss word. However, whenever I think of the TSA an exceptionally rude one comes to mind. So to say I'm riled about the new scanners and pat downs would be an understatement. Especially when I see pictures like this:



And this:



When he saw this, Ben said "Can I work at the airport?" Which just goes to show, doesn't it? And what the heck was this image meant to show anyway? That she would have gotten away with it if it weren't for the fabulous amazing backscatter? Uhhh...I think not.

And then there's the stories....the little kid been given a pat down...yeah, little kid...and he's really upset by it. The woman who was sexually abused and traumatized by the invasive and inappropriate pat down. The bladder cancer survivor who warned the agents over and over about the bag that collected his urine - warning them that if they patted him down roughly it would break the seal. They ignored him. They patted him down roughly. It broke the seal, and he was covered in urine. He was deeply humiliated.

I MEAN come ON!!!

I have been upset at all the hideousness at the airport for some time. The TSA agents I've come across have basically bullies high on power. This, though, has been the last straw on the camel's back. I hope that I never become so used to this "new reality" that it becomes ok for me.

And thus I will exercise my freedom of choice by not flying as much as I can help it. Of course there will be occasions where I will have to fly; I don't have the time or money to cross the ocean to England by ship, for example. However, whenever I can, I will drive.

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Benjamin Franklin
February 1775


My TSA Encounter

John Tyner's story

2 comments:

NattyBumpo said...

Yeah, I'm not really all that hot to get on a plane right now either. If enough people just said, "No." and didn't fly, the airline industry would be forced to do something. But, unfortunately, the apathy of, "What can one person do." will rule the day.

jugglingpaynes said...

When I first saw some of the body scan images posted on TV and in our newspaper, all I thought was I'm not going on an airplane until I drop fifty pounds. :o)

Seriously, how is this allowed in our country? Why do we allow ourselves and our families to be treated as criminals just because we choose to fly?

Peace and Laughter!
Happy Thanksgiving!