Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Facebook, values, and persecution.

Candace has a very interesting post concerning the censorship of conservative comments on social networking sites.

I recommend that you read it. Our freedoms are being eroded at a breathtaking pace, as Candace details in this eye-opening post here.

This is what I commented on her Facebook post:

"Seven months ago, during Stake Conference, our Stake President counseled not only the youth but ALL members of the stake to get rid of their facebook and myspace accounts. I believe he counseled us to do this because he'd seen an upsurge of online bullying and icky behaviour through social networking sites.

Our family immediately deleted our accounts, and we have been incredibly blessed thereby. Reading your post I felt a profound sense of peace and joy that we have not been associated with Facebook for seven months; and we only joined them a couple of months prior to that.

It's like when the First Presidency put out The Proclamation on the Family - what incredible foresight they showed! Who knew, all those years ago, when it seemed to be stating the obvious, that the tenets taught in that revelation would be so very very controversial now?

I believe there will come a time when those who uphold the principles contained in that revelation will be persecuted as badly as the early Saints.

The only problem is; the Saints moved West. Where can we go? Is there a safe, free land anywhere on Earth?"


I fear for the lives my children and grandchildren will lead. How can we keep them safe? Is there anywhere we can go?


YES!!!!

We can go to the Lord in prayer
We can go to church
We can go to the Temple
We can keep Zion in our homes by having regular prayer and scripture study both individually and as families.
We can keep Zion in our homes by having regular Family Home Evening and Family Councils.
We can make our homes a Temple on Earth.
We can teach our children that they are Children of God. I mean, literally!!! Our Literal Father is a GOD for goodness' sakes! As such we need to respect ourselves, our bodies, and all Heavenly Father's children.
And as public schools more and more become public sewers and brainwashing machines, we can bring our children home, and teach them all they need to know. There will come a time when this will be imperative if we do not wish to lose our children to the world.

The values our parents had, and followed as a matter of course, are gone now. Very few people follow them. Let us stand for Truth and Righteousness and Do What Is Right.

And may God bless us to be kind, gentle, thoughtful, and Christlike, even in the face of intense persecution.



Young Women's Theme

We are daughters of our Heavenly Father, who loves us, and we love Him. We will “stand as witnesses of God at all times and in all things, and in all places” as we strive to live the Young Women values, which are:

Faith
Divine Nature
Individual Worth
Knowledge
Choice and Accountability
Good Works and
Integrity

We believe as we come to accept and act upon these values,
we will be prepared to
strengthen home and family,
make and keep sacred covenants,
receive the ordinances of the temple,
and enjoy the blessings of exaltation.



Do What is Right
(if you click on the link you will be able to listen)

Do what is right; the day-dawn is breaking,
Hailing a future of freedom and light.
Angels above us are silent notes taking
Of ev’ry action; then do what is right!

[Chorus]
Do what is right; let the consequence follow.
Battle for freedom in spirit and might;
And with stout hearts look ye forth till tomorrow.
God will protect you; then do what is right!

Do what is right; the shackles are falling.
Chains of the bondsmen no longer are bright;
Lightened by hope, soon they’ll cease to be galling.
Truth goeth onward; then do what is right!

Do what is right; be faithful and fearless.
Onward, press onward, the goal is in sight.
Eyes that are wet now, ere long will be tearless.
Blessings await you in doing what’s right!




As Zion's Youth in Latter Days
As Zion’s youth in latter days,
We stand with valiant heart,
With promise shining in our eyes,
Resolved to do our part.
Upon a noble past we build;
The future fills our view.
We face the challenge of our day
And pledge we will be true.

The truths and values we embrace
Are mocked on ev’ry hand.

Yet as we listen and obey
We know we can withstand
The evils that would weaken us,
The sin that would destroy.
With faith, we hold the iron rod
And find in this our joy.

Thru test and trial we’ll have our fears,
But we will not despair.
We’re here to serve a righteous cause;
Truth gives us strength to dare.
We’ll love, and learn, and overcome;
We’ll sing a joyful song,
As Zion’s youth in latter days,
Triumphant, pure, and strong.



3 comments:

Heather the Mama Duk said...

MySpace just plain scares me. I have an account because it was the only way to read the blog of someone I knew who had a micropreemie. Eventually I lost interest in reading her blog since I had to go to it to read and didn't care THAT much once the baby was out of the woods and thriving. I don't even know if I have an account anymore.

I do have a Facebook account. I don't go there much. I have one friend who posts ALL THE TIME on there. It's crazy how much she's on Facebook and then I know people who spend hours on there on games like FarmTown and YoVille. I don't have time for all that so I've hidden all the notices that come up about that sort of stuff.

I do find Facebook useful, though, for keeping in touch with friends in places where I used to live. It's nice to hear little bits of what they are up to if they don't have a blog.

However, I'm a fuddy duddy and don't have very many friends on there and those I do have are not the dramafied type. It's more the "My baby is 3 today!" type.

At a Stake Conference many years ago, the visiting authority... can't remember now who it was... said that members of the stake should not participate in message boards at all. I do have an issue with blanket statements like that, though. Message boards can be dangerous, but they can also be very good. I've gotten in contact with distant family members via message boards and found missing generations via message boards. I met my very best friend on a message board and a couple of other dear friends as well. However, I refuse to participate in a message board with men and stick to "themed" ones (I.e. the homeschooling board and July 06 playroom at JustMommies; the Sonlight forum for the Core I'm using) because message boards can be a terrible time suck and can interfere in real life relationships.

But could I get rid of Facebook? Absolutely, though I'd miss hearing from some people who aren't so good at e-mailing back lol I honestly don't understand when people say they spend hours a day on Facebook. I'm just not sure how.

Keeley said...

I must admit, I do miss the Sonlight forum; now that it's been two years since I bought a core, my membership ran out. Dang! OTOH, I did spend FAR too much time on it so it's probably good that I don't go there anymore! =Þ

Did you read the articles in August Ensign about unplugging? My magazines arrived yesterday and I noticed them in there, though I haven't had a chance to read them yet. At first glance they look like fabulous FHE material. =D

Heather the Mama Duk said...

We moved and forgot to change our address in time so we haven't gotten the August Ensign yet, but I think my parents' has gotten here.

The Sonlight forum is insane. I can't keep up. That's really why I stick mostly to the forum for our core (and Dear Sonlight). Those are more my speed. Very slow lol I don't know how people keep up in Meet & Share!