Thursday, February 19, 2009

Pizza and French Fries Soup

Well, not really.

When Ritsumei was here I fed them soup. Ben really liked this soup. WOW! Considering what was in it, I was astonished. He instructed me NOT to tell him what was in it, so I told him it was pizza and french fries soup.

Without further ado:

Pizza and French Fries Soup
previously known as Sneak in the Veggies Cheddar Cheese Soup.

I found it here: http://www.recipezaar.com/Sneak-in-the-Veggies-Cheddar-Cheese-Soup-194889
by EmmyDuckie

I post here the original recipe, with my alterations in bold italics.


* 1 lb potato
* 1 large onion
* 1 medium yellow bell pepper (I used half of one - it's what I had left)
* 2 large yellow squash (I used 2 small because it's all I had)
* 1 (8 ounce) bag baby carrots
* 1 quart chicken stock or vegetable stock
* 1/2-1 teaspoon turmeric (Didn't have any. I threw in rosemary (I love rosemary and use it every chance I get), thyme, and possibly parsley.)
* salt and pepper
* 1 pint half & half light cream (Ok, here's a handy hint to y'all. If you buy half-and-half specially for a recipe, DON'T buy it enough in advance that it's smells REALLY icky by the time you get around to use it and thus you have to use 2% milk and 1/4 cup marge instead.)
* 1 cup low-fat cheddar cheese (I used regular. It's cheaper. And tastier.)

1. Roughly chop potatoes, onion, squash, and bell pepper if using.
2. Add to large stock pot along with carrots, stock, salt and pepper to taste, and turmeric. (If the stock doesn't quite cover the veggies, add a little water). (I added a little more stock than it called for, but even so some of the veggies weren't quite covered)
3. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium and let simmer until vegetables are tender.
4. Puree soup using a stick blender, or in small batches in the regular blender.
5. Add half-and-half and cheese, heat just until cheese melts.
6. Serve topped however you like.


This soup is RIDICULOUSLY DELICIOUS! If I didn't have guests around, I would have licked my bowl. Instead, I used bread to wipe around the bowl to get up every last bit of deliciousness. And Ben liked it too. How can you go wrong?

If you're making this soup, before you add the half and half and cheese, divide the soup in half. Make half with the dairy stuff and half without. Taste both to see which one you prefer. Both are SO YUMMY.

I seved Rosemary and Olive Oil bread. It was AWESOME.


I also served a salad - just the mixed greens thing from Kroger - but I served my own homemade salad dressing. It's fabulous. Try some.


Really yummy sweet dressing
I may or may not have lifted this from the Miserly Moms book. I can't remember.

¼ cup sugar
¼ tsp onion salt or garlic
¼ cup ketchup
¼ cup vinegar
¼ cup oil
1/8 tsp cayenne
1 tbsp parsley

Combine all ingredients except parsley. Beat. Stir in parsley just before serving.
(I didn't measure the spices - just bunged them in. Also, use olive oil and balsamic vinegar. OH my GOSH. My mouth is watering just thinking about it and I may just have to eat a salad RIGHT NOW so I can have some of that dressing.

4 comments:

Mother Hen said...

This sounds great! I was looking for a good soup recipe to try this week. I think I'll try yours.

Keeley said...

Hope they like it. =)

We tried the chocolate gravy this morning. WOAH!!!! That's chocolatey! =)

Ritsumei said...

I'm completely amused at the soup recipe! And pretty proud of myself: I guessed that it was based on squash, and it turns out I was RIGHT! Yay! Thanks for the warm-fuzzy moment.

Keeley said...

Warm fuzzies for Ritsumei for guessing the squash! =) =) Yay!