Monday, November 24, 2008

$1000 in a month challenge

So here we are back with the $1000 in a month challenge.

Tip number 14 is "Use self-persuasion to share how much you’ve saved so far". I have no idea what this means because every time I try to access the page it wants me to sign in with my user name and password and I just don't think this site is worth signing up for.

Tip number 15 is Forget going to a bar, ask people over for dinner. Yes yes, done that for years. Saved countless tons of money no doubt, but it's not new so on we go.

For those of you reading who DO go to a bar or buy alcohol or whatever, stop it. Then add up the savings. It will be a ridiculous amount. So much more you'll be able to pay off your cars or house or big screen tv or whatever.



Tip number 16 is actually quite useful. Cancel any large purchases this month.

This is actually a good thing to do not this month, but every month. If you really need something, write it down in your little notebook that you use to write down absolutely everything you spend money on - you have one of those, right? (Says she, who's tried to have one for years and keeps forgetting). Anyway, in a different section of that notebook write down what you think you need, how much it costs, and the date.

Then wait.

Do not buy it. Don't you dare!

Then at the end of the month review and if you really NEED it, go ahead and get it. If you don't need it, take the money you were going to spend on it and pay down the credit cards, the second mortgage, the car, the mortgage, or put it in savings or whatever.

Works like a charm.

Money saved for me: I don't know, I do this all the time and often don't go back and get it but as I said, I haven't kept up on the book thing so I have no idea how much I've saved. Pity really.



Tip number 17 is Buy generic for the stuff you don't care about.

What a stupid tip. Why not just "Buy generic"? For everything. All the time. Never buy brand name stuff, unless you can get it for a really great deal at the second hand shop. Buy generic food, medicine, clothes, shoes, haircuts, and so on and so forth. We've always done this, so I have no idea how much I've saved over the years.



Tip 18 is very difficult, but it's a goodie. No Christmas Gifts This Year.

I'm feeling ok about this one because I've already bought stuff for my family so no guilt there. =D I do feel the need to buy gifts for Bert's family. However, I always try to stress to the children the "homemade or low-cost gifts within the family" type gift. The years when I've bought a lot of gifts for the children leave me feeling sick to my stomach.

The children do get some money from grandparents so it's not like they're deprived or anything. =) You can tell I'm feeling guilt about this particular tip, can't you?

This is the beginning of my Christmas list this year:
1. Make a solid budget
2. Listen to the Crown Podcasts every work day for a year.
3. Cut off cable
4. Cut off the Internet, unless we can get it for free.
5. Get rid of either the cell phones or the land line.
6. Go through the lessons to learn more about foster care.

I really really really hope I get these gifts. =)


Savings on number 18: $150

Total to date: $321.84

No comments: