Friday, September 12, 2008

Becoming obsessed

Ok, so at Emily´s party I was like "What are we going to give for party favors?" (We had a total party for an 8 year old at my daughter's 18th. =D) Emily snorted and said "Give them the Coldplay Viva la Vida because everyone's obsessed by it."

Obviously she wasn't. =D

I heard the first few bars of the song and was like "Meh" and wasn't impressed.

Then yesterday, just for kicks, I played it on audiosurf and was like "WOAH! What the heck is THIS!?" and quickly became quite obsessed. Irritating, I know, but there it is.

Here's the song. Listen to it. It's important. Read the lyrics whilst you do so. There will be more discussion afterwards, but it won't make sense unless you hear the song.



Ben and I watched this video AFTER we'd had the discussion that's coming up in a minute, and apart from the fact that the video looks like a painting we were singularly unimpressed. Boring? Yes indeed. Very boring video.

But here are the lyrics:

I used to rule the world
Seas would rise when I gave the word
Now in the morning I sleep alone
Sweep the streets I used to own

I used to roll the dice
Feel the fear in my enemies eyes
Listen as the crowd would sing:
"Now the old king is dead! Long live the king!"

One minute I held the key
Next the walls were closed on me
And I discovered that my castles stand
Upon pillars of salt, and pillars of sand

I hear Jerusalem bells a-ringing
Roman Cavalry choirs are singing
Be my mirror my sword and shield
My missionaries in a foreign field
For some reason I can not explain
Once you know there was never, never an honest word
That was when I ruled the world


It was the wicked and wild wind
Blew down the doors to let me in.
Shattered windows and the sound of drums
People could not believe what I'd become

Revolutionaries wait
For my head on a silver plate
Just a puppet on a lonely string
Oh who would ever want to be king?

I hear Jerusalem bells a-ringing
Roman Cavalry choirs are singing
Be my mirror my sword and shield
My missionaries in a foreign field
For some reason I can not explain
I know Saint Peter won't call my name
Never an honest word
And that was when I ruled the world


Hear Jerusalem bells a-ringing
Roman Cavalry choirs are singing
Be my mirror my sword and shield
My missionaries in a foreign field
For some reason I can not explain
I know Saint Peter will call my name
Never an honest word
But that was when I ruled the world




Ben said "What does Viva la Vida mean anyway?"

So we looked it up. Viva la Vida means "Live the life" and is based on a painting by Kahlo. So Ben and I dashed to look it up, hoping it would give us some insight.

Here's the painting




And Ben and I went:
".........Watermelons???!!!???"

=)

"WHAT," I asked "Does this have to do with the song?"

And we both sat there studying the painting for a few minutes. Then Ben came up with this brilliant interpretation:

"Most of the watermelons are cut and broken. The one in the middle is whole."

All sorts of things started going through my head about broken things in the song and broken things in the painting and how we can be whole through Christ.


Ok, think about that for a bit because it's really interesting.








When you've done that, read this post I found, referring to the CD cover of Viva la Vida, which is a painting of the French Revolutionary War...which, incidentally Thomas Paine, being the meddler he was, got himself mixed up and hurt in.

The cover:



The post by scottlei4:
The album cover is a painting 'Liberty Leading The People'. The song (and painting) is about the French Revolution of 1830 and Charles X. He was very religious, hence the references in the song.


Oh DOH! Just knowing the history of that time, looking at the picture, then re-listening to the words of the song a lightbulb went off.

Awesome. I love it when my musical tastes collide with my love of history.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey there! If you go on you tube and look for "Creaky Boards - The Songs I didn't write" you will see that they allege that Coldplay stole the song from them - it's quite funny! Hope you are all well!
Flower
xx

Keeley said...

Hmmm, well I listened and while they are quite similar, I don't think Creaky Boards' allegations of HOW Coldplay heard the song of an unknown band from a different continent stack up. Obviously they don't believe it either, because they haven't brought a suit against Coldplay; the allegations wouldn't stand up in a court of law.

We're all well! =) And yourselves? I keep remembering, "It's all about you, Mommy" and giggling. =D

I was telling Ben just the other day that the first time I encountered a computer was when your brother had that tape player thing and was avidly playing pong on the TV. =D =D Ahhhh, good times, good times. =D

Carrie and Troy Keiser said...

Very interesting, thanks for sharing. I had never heard this song before.

Keeley said...

Carrie, I'm surprised at how I hadn't heard it either - until Emily told me about it - because apparently it's everywhere. Who knew? =D

I have a hard time listening to it these days now I know what it's about. =(