Saturday, August 04, 2007

Lern Yerself Scouse

This morning I rediscovered a brilliant book on Bert's bookshelf that I had completely forgotten he'd had.

"Lern yerself Scouse - How to talk proper in Liverpool, a teach-yourself phrase book by Frank Shaw edited with notes and translations by Fritz Spiegl and a scouse pome by Stan Kelly"

"Ere, tatty-ead!" = I say, young woman!

"Make yer name Walker, wack" = Please go away

"Yer wha?" = do I hear you aright?

"I don know a blind werd e says" = I do not understand him

"Ee wus gawpin wid eyes like atpegs" = he looked surprised

"Give yer chin a rest" = please be silent

"Purra zipper on it" = please be silent

"Isavvy" = This afternoon

"It's crackin de flags" = The weather is very hot (Actually, my mother from Lancashire also says this)

"Ee's gorran ed as big as Berkened" = He is rather too self-assured. (Birkenhead is across the Mersey from Liverpool)

"Ee's as queer as a nine-bob note" = He buys his clothes in Carnaby Street. (Hahahaha, the translation on this one is as good as the phrase. =D =D It means he's homosexual. I was brought up with "Ee's as bent as a nine-bob note." =D A "bob" is a shilling. There's no such thing as a nine-shilling note, and therefore if someone hands you one it's "bent", "queer", or in other words, counterfeit...there's summat up wid it.)

"Yer gorra cob on" = you are in a bad mood (I'd say "She's havin' a mard")

"Once every Prestin Guild" = very infrequently (A phrase my mother also uses. A Preston Guild is a town fair held every twenty years)

"Yews" = you, plural. When a Liverpool teacher says, "Stand up, Hughes!" to a boy thus named, the whole class usually rises.

"Me judy/me tart/me gerl" = my lady-friend/my fiance/my wife. The word "tart" does not generally mean "prostitute" in Liverpool and is not, therefore, pejorative.

"Im" = my husband, slightly derisive.

"Dis pur a kecks is too tight" = These trousers are too tight. "kicks" is 18th century thieves slang for trousers.

"I wanna new wicker wacker" = I require a new suit, my man.

"Eh! Yew wid de ead!" = Waiter! (We used to say "'ere, yew wid de 'air on!" to catch the attention of a person)

"Scaldy" = A swimming hole; part of a canal warm with industrial effluents.

"Me gob's like de bottom uv a berdcage" = I think I have halitosis (We used to say that too)

"I'll get off at Edge Ill" = I will resort to coitus interruptus. Edge Hill is the penultimate station before Lime Street, the terminus of the London-Liverpool line.


Enjoy. =)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I lived in Liverpool for a year, and i really liked the accent. I wish someone writes a book with a CD, for foreigners who want to learn it.
Denise Soria

Keeley said...

HA! That would be AWESOME! A Liverpudllian Rosetta Stone. =D